It’s Halloween eve! I know all of our houses are about to be coated with candy and the cravings to give in are about to hit, so I wanted to share with your my tricks to treat yourself!!
With all of the sweet treats around, it’s very easy to eat just one, and then maybe one in car line, and one while laying in bed, and one for breakfast because you didn’t have time to make anything for yourself.
When you eat a high amount of sugar, a few things happen:
-your brain releases dopamine, which feels good for a time, but after it wears off you’ll crave even more…which is why one piece of candy turns into 2
-your pancreas releases insulin, which proceeds to absorb the extra glucose. Once it’s done, your blood sugar levels drop because of the excess insulin. This is why you get that sugar crash.
-any glucose your body does not convert into energy gets stored as fat
Here are my tips on entering Halloween with some defined, easy to follow rules so you can enjoy the holiday while still staying faithful to your wellness goals!!
- Set yourself up for success- if you have a Halloween candy bowl within reach, it’s going to be hard to resist it. Get rid of it or have someone else in the house be the only person who knows where it is.
- Substitute your cravings- if you’re craving that butterfinger, try a nutritious alternative without all the unnecessary processed sugar: greek yogurt, peanut butter, and cocoa powder can give you that taste!
- hand out non edible treats- consider swapping out the bags of candy for non edible treats like glow sticks (my kids love these!!), stamps, crayons, or bubbles. This allows you to avoid the temptation all together!
- have a plan for your kids’ candy- to rid the house of temptation give your kids a limit and throw the rest out!! OR offer them a “buy back” incentive….on days when they have had good behavior or grades, attitude, etc. let them turn in a few pieces of candy to go buy a prize at the store
- focus on your favorites “one and done method”- having a scarcity mindset can actually make you cave more. Pick one candy you can’t stop thinking about and have ONE. Then that’s it! One and done!!
Set your self up for success, stay true to your wellness goals, and have a Happy Halloween!
Yours in health 🙂
Top is from Glyder apparel and bottoms are my all time favorite align pants! Link is here